November 09, 2012

Like a Little Family

I follow a teacher blogger who recently posted her favourite things about being a teacher. She's from the U.S so I reckon it was her "Favorite" things, but you catch my drift. 

She said she loves those moments during the day where we share in a laugh and it feels like we're a little family with our own jokes and all.  

She took the words right out of my mouth.  We have moments like this all the time and they bring us together...like a little family.  I thing this is why June is so bittersweet because, while I still get to see the kids in the school the following year, it's never quite the same.  What a short time I get to share with my little family of kids.  I'm so glad for hilarious and special moments like today.  

Grab a coffee and settle in for a cute story. 

It started while the kids were eating their lunch. One or two little chickadees were chewing on their sandwiches while working feverishly on some little bits of paper on their desks.  I carried on with my business, leaving them to their project.  

Suddenly one little cutie walks by my desk and without a word, leaves this teeny-tiny bit of paper on my desk, all folded up and looking very important.  

It's a note.
I love it when they do this. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the cute pictures they draw, but there is something about the notes they write that hit me right in my teacher heart.  


The note said, "How do you get your hair to look like that?" So cute! Not sure if this was a compliment or not, but I wrote back, "I wash it, dry it and then it looks like this."  The child wrote back, "Okay. Thanks."  

Then my mailbox started getting more and more full: 


  • How do you get to school?
  • Are you Italian?
  • How come the cartoon characters you draw have no bodies? 
  • Can you write me back?  
  • You are awesome!
  • You are a great teacher and I would know because I've had a lot.  
This lasted for about 10 or so minutes and then the bell rang and it was time to get back to work.  It was so much fun receiving their hilarious notes and writing back.  It's funny because as teachers we try to build this kind of community in our classrooms to make them a warm and safe learning environment.  

Doesn't it say so much about my students that they do it themselves?  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...