December 16, 2017

The Legend of the Poinsettia

On Friday, we read "The Legend of the Poinsettia" by Tomie DePaola and from there, we completed our final painting project until the spring.  



Throughout the course of our painting unit, the boys and girls have learned the value of persistence, practice and how by breaking tasks down into smaller steps, we can achieve some pretty amazing things.  





On Thursday, I gave the kids the heads up that this might be the most challenging (and frustrating!) drawing yet. I told them to pack their patience and be ready to persist.  

As you can see, their paintings are stunning, and I'm so very proud of my class.  It's been so exciting to watch as my students' skills have grown. We've drawn and painted a fish, a reindeer and now a poinsettia.  Throughout the process, students have learned so much more than the "how-to" skills I've taught them.  





We have one more project in the spring, and while I certainly don't want to rush my time with my crew, I'm looking forward to seeing those pieces! 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...