October 03, 2012

A nice easy day

Today we talked all about ordinal numbers (first, second, third, etc.) in Math. At last, it seems like our Math unit has gotten a wee bit easier. I've put Post-it Notes everywhere for next year to remind me NOT to start the Math program with Unit One. I think we'd be better off with some review work and then we can jump into Unit Two and come back to One later on.  It's not my first go 'round with this Math program either but I have some ideas for how we can make our kids more successful next year and I'm going with it.  

We're continuing our talk about what good readers do in our Literacy Block. We chatted today about how good readers read a variety of fiction.  We looked at realistic fiction, science fiction, historical fiction, fantasy fiction and good ol' storybooks.  Then we continued with our work our page for our very first class book called, "What do good readers do?"  

I also explained to the boys and girls how I mark their work. I like to mark it in a way that encourages children to find their own errors. It takes a little longer for both parties, but it is totally worth it.  I made this great video to post on the blog to demonstrate what I mean then I left my camera at school. Not helpful.  So I'll be sure to post that video tomorrow. 

Speaking of tomorrow, I'm away in the morning at a workshop. I'm sure my supply teacher will love my class as much as I do. The boys and girls will attend the Thanksgiving Liturgy and then the RAD assembly.   I'll be back in the afternoon and we'll write our POTW test at that time.

I'm looking forward to sharing that video with you about how I mark the children's work. It really does help the kids find their own errors and in my experience, it's been very effective in improving students' writing skills.  

It's funny, I read over this post and think to myself, "That's only half of what we did today, I'm sure I'm leaving out all kinds of goodies."  But I guess that's how life is.  Our day is chock-full of so many rich discussions, funny moments and great learning. It's no different than any other class, but when you try to sit down and write about it, it's hard to capture that magic.  

Thank goodness for cameras.  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...