March 20, 2013

A Personal Post

Yesterday, I posted about how I want my students to understand that when they play by the rules, do their best and use their manners, anyone that loves and cares about them will always give them the break they deserve if they make a mistake.  

Who would have thought that the very next day, I'd need that "break".  My husband was in a car accident this morning.  It was very minor but at the time of his phone call, I didn't know this and I panicked.  

By the time the students entered the classroom, I was well entrenched in all the phone calls that need to be made at a time like this. I told my students what had happened and that I needed a few minutes to check in with my husband again and make sure everything was okay.  

It was about five minutes that I needed, but it meant the world to me that they were so willing to help me.  They understood that the day would start a little differently than usual and that they needed to work independently, without my assistance for a few minutes.  

I can't tell you how proud and grateful I am to have such a compassionate and kind-hearted group of students to spend my day with.  

Those five extra minutes helped me in many ways. Not only did I learn that my husband was indeed okay and got important questions answered, I was reminded that when we ask for help,understanding or forgiveness from others who love, respect and care for us, we receive it.  It's heartwarming to think that just yesterday I told my students they could count on this from me and here we are a day later and I've received it from them.  

Sometimes you have to look hard to find a silver lining in a difficult situation. 

It was easy today. 







8 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear your husband is ok. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to get that phone call and have a classroom full of students waiting for your lead. Last night I spoke about how sometimes we parents are not just parents we are also people, with needs and feelings. Today you were more than their teacher, you were someone in a scary situation who needed love and support and I'm so warmed to hear the class gave you that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words Mrs. C. Yesterday was yet another opportunity for me to cherish and appreciate the wonderful little family we are in Room 208.

      Delete
  2. We were so happy to hear that your husband was not injured and was safe and sound, the car can be fixed.
    As for the children you have taught them well and they were very concerned and grateful to hear that your husband was safe as well. They want to make you happy as well and are sad when you are. I am glad that they gave you the time that you needed. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Mrs. C. You are so right...the car can be fixed. It was hard for a little while there to get my head back in the game but my class makes it so easy to rebound. They are such a pleasure to be around, one cannot help but do and be their best when you're with them.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mrs M,

    I'm glad your husband is ok! I can't imagine having to deal with that with 20 kids looking up at you. I'm glad they were able to give you the understanding you needed during a very stressful time.

    Emilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Mrs. D. I was very grateful yesterday for having so many routines and procedures in my class. My students were able to carry on with their work and problem solve on their own while I did a little problem solving (and breath-catching!) myself. They are one amazing group of kids, that's for sure.

      Delete
  4. I admit I have not checked the blog for a few days-shame on me. Unfortunately I was preoccupied with a few other things going on. I am so sorry to hear about your scary situation and can sympathize. I'm glad your husband is okay and the children were able to understand you needed the extra few minutes. I hope you both have a restful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Mrs. P. Other than a stiff neck, Paul is okay and his truck is in the shop, so hopefully this will all be behind us in the next week or so. I hope all is well with you.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...