May 20, 2014

New novel!



We finished reading Wonder last Friday and it was a great way to cap off another terrific week in our class. It's such a special story about a very inspiring character, I hope my students will revisit it when they are older. 

After we have a few moments to discuss the finished novel, the boys and girls are always excited to learn the name of our next literary adventure. 

We've begun Rump by Liesl Shurtliff and boy, did it ever grab our attention! The first paragraph did what all great writing should do: evoke a response from the readers. What a wonderful teachable moment for my students! 

The first sentence was hysterical! We were wiping tears from our eyes from laughing so hard! And then, we got to the end of that paragraph and we were silent.  What a shock. Talk about a roller coaster of a opening.  I won't spoil it for you in case you want to read the novel yourself. 

I think we've got a real winner on our hands here. I am anticipating that this will be the final novel we read as a class, so I hope my students treasure these last five weeks of Evening Meetings together as much as I do.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...