January 13, 2015

Baby it's cold outside!

We're just about finished our procedural writing for how to get dressed for winter play and I couldn't be more pleased! 

The boys and girls have really made an effort to use the feedback from their Mrs. Claus paragraph AND add plusses to their work. I had suggested on Monday that the kids might like to add some humour to their writing and they haven't disappointed!


I can't wait to send them home for you to read!


As students complete their work, they bring their little booklets over to me and we have a mini-conference. I read the paragraph aloud and together we talk about strengths and next steps.  

One area we're going to focus on as a class is around punctuation. The kids have the whole "period at the end of a sentence rule" down pat.  Where we need to focus on is a new punctuation pal: the comma.  Because the kids are producing more sophisticated writing, with lots of compound sentences, I want to teach them how they can use the comma to communicate more effectively. They'll learn that the comma is more than just the guy that goes between a list of things. 


It's really exciting to watch their skills develop and grow because that helps to drive my instruction. For the next few days, (see what I did there? I used a comma!)the focus will be on the comma, but who knows where we'll be after that!  


Congratulations to all the boys and girls on a job well done! 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...