September 07, 2016

Day 1 was "oh-fish-ially" a hit!

Let me tell you all about our fantastic day today! 
Or should I say our "fin-tastic" day? ← See what I did there? "Fin" tastic!  

We started our day the way we'll begin every day, with Morning Message. The boys and girls got a little sampling of how this special time in our day will roll. We talked about the importance of arriving to school on time (please, please, please deliver your children to school on time!) so that one doesn't miss any part of Morning Message.  It's my feeling that if you miss a part of it, it's like coming into a movie or a meeting late: you never really feel caught up to speed.  



We also reviewed the "Big 12". These are the important rules and expectations we have in our class.  There's a zillion more than 12, but for today, I wanted to cover the basics, because these all are like doors that open to other expectations we have. They really point to the big picture, which is that everyone in Room 208 has a job to do and that is to contribute to a positive learning environment.  Why did I go with these 12 expectations? Well, as the hip kids like to say, "there's no simple explanation for anything important, any of us do."  ;) 

Here's just a few of the Big 12:






After Morning Message, we got to work! We started on our "Sailing into Third Grade" booklets where the kids get to tell me all about themselves and their summertime adventures.  

Then we read a really funny story called "Memoirs of a Goldfish". I like this book a lot because it fits with the with the overall tone I like my room to have: let's stick together, let's take care of each other.  

We also played a really fun game I made about opposites. There was no special reason for the subject of the game (opposites) but rather I used this as an opportunity for us to work together, learn about focusing and attending and to establish the expectations for game play.  

Indoor recess at lunch because of the heat, was a great opportunity for the boys and girls to get reacquainted with their friends and enjoy some of the games and toys we have in our room.  

From there, it was all about manners and rude cakes. Yep, you read that correctly. We read a great book about a rude cake and learned it's never to late to turn things around. We also learned that in the middle of the night, a giant cyclops might pluck you from your bed and wear you as a hat. Bottom line: it's always best to be polite.  

We ended the day the way I've ended most of my days in my classroom for the last 17 or so years: with DEAR time, followed by Evening Meeting.  At Evening Meeting, we sit at the carpet, have a few laughs, sing a song or two and read our novel together. This first novel is an oldie, but a goodie, it's called, "There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom" by Louis Sachar. It's a great story and I think it really brings us together as a class. The main character, Bradly, drives us crazy with his rude ways and complicated behavior, but by the end of the novel, we're all cheering for the guy.  It's really a great book and if you're a teacher teaching grades 3-5, I highly recommend it.  







Whew! And that's just one day!  I can't wait to see everyone tomorrow when I get to tell the kids all about Brag Tags! 

Thank you to all the boys and girls and their families for a terrific first day of school! I can't wait to see you tomorrow morning at 8:45 (please be on time!). 

2 comments:

  1. Andrijana Radosevic7 September 2016 at 21:43

    Mrs. Mihalides, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the information that you share with us parents. I have been checking out all the parts of your blog - this clearly take a lot of your time and just wanted to say "thanks".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrijana! It's my pleasure! I'm so glad you find my blog so helpful!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...