October 20, 2016

A very productive week!

We've had quite the productive week! Don't you just love that feeling?  

Our Crankensteins are coming along very nicely and while the kids have enjoyed creating their characters, I've especially loved seeing the quality of their writing improve. It's nuts how in just a few short weeks and with a bit of modeling and practice, the growth just takes off!  I'm putting the Crankensteins up in our class, so you'll have to wait a bit before you get to see them in person, but let me tell you...this is top quality work.  





By using a checklist, implementing teaching feedback and instituting the "5 centimetre rule" (read about that below) students are learning how to write in a way that paints a picture in the reader's mind and that one or two lines ain't gonna cut it when you have 5 or 6 provided.  It's fun helping them see that they can really write quite a bit about a topic by posing just a few questions to them.  When they come to me and say, "I don't know what else to write." all it takes is a good question or two and their eyes get bigger, the smile grows and off they go! 

In Math, we're working on problem solving using addition or subtraction or...dun,dun,dun...both!  The kids wrote another quiz on Wednesday and I'll send that home on Friday for signatures. The first quiz (which won't count) was assigned Tuesday and I realized we weren't quite ready for it. We practiced a bit more on Wednesday and I think things went much better for the kids.  We're looking at having our Unit 2 test next week at some point.  I'll post a practice test and send home a study guide to assist as well. I'll also send home their little workbook that students can use to prepare for the test as well. 

Overall, I'd say we're on track and doing great!  It's been a great week and I'm looking forward to trouble tomorrow. Whaaa??? 
Yep.  
Tomorrow's Fun Friday will be quite troublesome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...