December 09, 2016

Moments from our week

It was a great week. You know, it really was. Nothing super fancy, just a great week.  Sometimes, when I'm locking up for the night, I look around this place that literally looks like my house, because of all the stuff that my husband has been kind enough to deliver to our room, and I find it hard to believe that I actually get paid to be here in the first place. Those are good moments. 

I really should tell you that he's the man behind the scenes of room 208. He's the guy that staples the tests, fixes the unfortunate mistakes (like when I drop stuff in the parking lot), repairs the classroom furniture and makes sure the book order is all correct.  He sits through all my practice lessons and looks the other way when the sticker and Chapters deliveries arrive. Behind every good teacher is a great partner and I hit the jackpot with this guy. 

We've reached something I call "family status" as a class. It happens every year. Some years it comes late, but typically it comes around January. This year: December.  That's pretty neat. 

We feel like a little family. It's warm and happy and sometimes a little messy.  Yes, there's differences and I'm sorrys, but there's always respect. There's always humor and there's always love.  

It can't happen right away. That's just not authentic.  But after several months together, lots of stories, lots of routines and job assignments to kids, the wackiness that is Halloween comes and goes,  and then it's just a matter of time. The kids drive this bus. I do my thing and then one day, there they are, just doing their own thing together, loving each other and running my room to the point where I could meet you for lunch and they wouldn't notice I was gone.    

It's sweet and it makes my teacher heart happy.  
There's no other job like teaching. 
There's no other place like Room 208.  















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...