May 27, 2021

Thursday May 27

I have an extraordinary class.  

I was pulled away late yesterday afternoon to take care of a family matter. I didn't realize that I had not closed down our Google Meet.  When students went to recess, I left asynchronous work and a video explaining my situation and hoped they would be able carry on without me.  

I learned this morning that they returned to the meeting and carried on in a way that makes me so proud and hopeful for their future as responsible leaders and digital citizens.  They explained to me that they helped each other with the work I'd left, followed the expectations we have for both online and in person learning and then to top it off, the Student of the Day led the class in closing prayers.  

It was hard to keep it together this morning when they proudly shared this with me.  

What more could teachers and parents ask for than this?  We talk a lot about doing the right thing even if no one is watching, and how our conduct should be an example, not a warning to others and that was certainly demonstrated on Wednesday.  

Now on to today's (late) plan. Thursday was a fantastic day in our little digital space. We enjoyed Kahoots for the first time together as a class and they were very well received.  

In math, we're working on probability, but we're also revisiting concepts that need a little boost. Counting money is our focus right now, and any opportunity to strengthen this skill would be time well spent.  

Today we started using the blank pages in our agenda to learn cursive writing. The lines are perfect for practicing our letters and also help minimize frustration.  Here's an older blog post that talks about why I teach cursive.  

We didn't quite check off every item on our plan today, so some items will be carried over to Friday or Monday. 



Unused pages in our Agenda or "Homework Book" are perfect for
learning how to write in cursive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...